Saturday, September 5, 2015

Sword Slinger Character Class

The Sword Slinger! My idea was to have a PC using two weapons of equal size, just to buck tradition. It grew from there. The picture comes from a very old sketch I've had lying around for over 15 years.

One thing I want to point out is that these recent sheets are all hand-written, obviously, and prone to error. Many of the details are invented right on the page as I go along. Often I will have a white space that seems empty so it gets filled with a bit of sidebar graphics or, in some cases, an impromptu table or class ability that wasn't planned.

In other cases I spell something wrong, in ink. I detest using white out or anything like that (though I sometimes have to do it). If I can, I will roll with a mis-spelled word and spin it into a "deliberate" element of the sheet. And that's how we end up with the class ability called "Flyng" instead of "Flying Death" as it was supposed to be.


4 comments:

  1. I am so playing one of those! Looks very balanced too, and easier to include in a game non-gonzo than your other ones (not that there's anything wrong with that!).
    And I think the punkzine aspect of these, with mistakes and making up features as you go are part of what makes these classes so brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, man. I truly appreciate the time you take to make comments! And I hope you get to play a sword slinger.

      Delete
  2. Every time I read your blog there is all this cool stuff everywhere! Love these class's and the style you write them in. For the Love of the Gods man, write a OSRish rule book in the same style! The entire thing done in the handwritten awesome style you have and then sit back and make Stacks as well as bask in the adoration of your fans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, I greatly appreciate that. Thanks for checking the blog. I do plan to release these pages in a book of some kind. I don't have any plans to do an actual game since the rules I base these on are BX/LL anyway. But the book will include house rules that I use.

      Delete